After a hectic trek, we were back at our base - Shillong. It was a bright sunny morning and a perfect day to explore the beauty of this place. Being the capital of the state, the place was quite stylish in its own sweet way. Our hotel was in the most happening place - Police Bazaar. We hired a taxi to cover all the major tourist attractions of the city. It was a wonderful experience.
Highlights of the city -
- Elephant Falls - 12kms from Shillong, Elephant waterfalls are famous as it is a 3 tiered waterfall. Britishers named it after a rock that resembles to an elephant next to the waterfalls. A place to relax in nature's lap.
Elephant Falls Pic courtesy - MapsofIndia.com
- Shillong Peak - Best place to have panoramic view of the city. It's build inside defence area and allows entry with ID proofs. One can view the city via tha binoculars as well (paid facility).
Shillong Peak Pic Courtesy - Mouthshut.com
- AirForce Museum - An attraction for both adults and children, it's a great place to get knowledge about the country's defence forces and defence history. The museum has pictures of Indo-China war and Indo-Pakistan war on display. Visitors can also see python's skin at the museum.
- Lady Hydari Park - Known for the beautiful bed of roses that bloom here in various colors. There is a mini zoo clubbed with a deer park that stretches for more than a kilometer. Park has been well maintained to play for tiny tots. Couples and families can also spend quality time.
Lady Hydari Park Pic Courtesy - HolidayPlans
- Ward's Lake - Horse shoe shaped lake has been set up amidst lush green gardens. One can enjoy the serenity in peace.
Wards Lake Pic Courtesy - Mapsofindia.com
- State Museum - For those interested in ethnic tribal culture and tradition, this museum offers insights to the lifestyle of the people of this state. The museum has central library complex as well.
- Don Bosco Museum - A three-in-one Institution combining a museum with a research and publication centre, for promoting and preserving the rich cultural heritage of North East India -a unique fusion of all the sister states under one roof.
Don Bosco Museum Pic couretsy - Wikimapia.org
- Golf Course - Shillong golf course is considered to be the Glen Eagle of the East and is the first 18 hole golf course in India, open for common public as well.
- Umiam Lake - On the outskirts of the city is the famous Umiam lake. It was created by damming the Umiam river. Tourists visit this spot for kayaking, water cycling, scooting and boating.
Umiam Lake Pic Courtesy -Wikipedia
How to reach Shillong - Road is the best way to reach Shillong. However by train and rail Guwahati is the nearest point from where bus or taxi can be hired for Shillong.
Accommodation - Listing down couple of good hotels located at police bazaar.
- Hotel Centre Point
- Hotel Sapphire
- Pinewood Hotel
Hope you enjoyed reading this post.
Happy Travelling !!!
Very nicely scripted. The day wise visit description says it all. No questions asked.ReplyDelete
Glad that you loved the post! Do read other posts as well and share your reviews :)ReplyDelete
Hi, I am planning to visit Shillong in August, 2019. Is it possible to visit the places you described by using public transport or sharing basis because of tight budget.ReplyDelete